We’re always inspired by classics with a twist, like this coffee cake we’ve dialed up a notch using our Pancrafted® Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels. Fair warning, this is not your grandmother’s book club recipe. A little sweet, a little salty, it’s a slice of pure chocolatey, caramelly, pleasure-inducing indulgence that will leave your friends and family craving more.
Makes: Approximately 9 servings
Time: 30 minutes prep, 1 hour cook time
– 8 Tbsp butter, room temperature
– 3/4 cup sugar
– 2 large eggs, room temperature
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 1/2 cup sour cream
– 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/8 tsp baking soda
– 1/4 tsp kosher salt
– 1/2 cup Marich® Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 2 tbsp light brown sugar, lightly packed
– 1/4 tsp cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp kosher salt
– 3 Tbsp butter, cold
– 1/3 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
– 1/3 cup Marich® Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels
– 2 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9” x 5” loaf pan.
2. Place butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl, beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Then add the vanilla and sour cream, continuing to mix until combined.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in separate bowl. Gently mix dry ingredients into the batter until thoroughly combined. Reserve ½ cup of batter into a small bowl. Place ½ cup Marich® Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 15 seconds, stir and continue heating and stirring in 10 second increments until caramels are melted and smooth. Gradually fold melted chocolate into the reserved batter and mix until well combined. Set aside.
4. For the streusel, mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Add butter, cut into flour mixture using a fork until pea size crumbles are formed. Add pecans; set aside.
5. Spoon 2/3 of the vanilla batter into the prepared loaf pan and distribute evenly. Top with an even layer of the chocolate batter and finish with the remaining 1/3 batter. Sprinkle streusel evenly over the top of the cake. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean and streusel is lightly browned. Cool thoroughly on a rack and run a knife along the edges of a pan before removing.
6. To finish, Place 1/3 cup of caramels and heavy cream in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH in 15 second increments, stirring in between until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. While still warm, drizzle chocolate over cakes.